Mauritius, Bihar to jointly host `Bhojpuri Mahotsav`
Patna: Mauritius and Bihar which share historical bonds have decided to organise `Bhojpuri festival` every year to keep the language alive.
The festival would be organised jointly by government of Mauritius and Bihar Tourism department and both Mauritius Prime Minister Rajkeshwar Prayag and state Chief Minister Nitish Kumar have consented to holding the festival, state Tourism Minister Sunil Kumar Pintu told reporters here.
Prayag would be visiting Patna in the first week of January on Kumar`s request, he said.
Pintu, who visited the south east Asian country recently to attend a tourism meet, said Bhojpuri is still spoken by the elder generation in Mauritius but the younger people hardly speak in the language.
The people there had requested him to open a Mauritius information centre at Patna where they could get the details of their forefathers and Kumar had given his consent for it, he said.
About 70 per cent of the population of Mauritius is of Indian origin and almost half of them hailed from Bihar.
Pintu, who had also visited England recently in connection with a tourism festival, said British Royal army officials signed an agreement with Bihar tourism department as part of which 4000 of its officials with their families would visit Bodh Gaya in January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad