Mechanism to check corruption in MNREGA: Nitish
Patna: With the opposition RJD and Congress attacking NDA government in Bihar on alleged irregularities to the tune of Rs 6,000 crore in execution of MNREGA, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today said his government has set up an institutional mechanism to check corruption in the project.
Bihar is observing MNREGA day once a week in which a high ranking government official visits a panchayat in a district to meticulously audit the implementation of MNREGA scheme at the grassroot level, Kumar told reporters.
As part of the investigation and social auditing exercise, the state government has inspected 2,500 panchayats out of a total of 8,420 and started stern action against officials.
"A total of 130 FIRs have been lodged, 1,900 show cause notices issued and Rs 21 lakh cash collected from officials so far," he said talking to reporters in his chamber in state assembly.
Earlier, the opposition RJD and Congress questioned the government over a report by an NGO (Centre for Environment and Food Security) alleging irregularities to the tune of Rs 6,000 crore in implementation of MNREGA scheme in some 10 districts of the state.
RJD legislators shouted slogans seeking CBI probe into the issue outside the assembly and also in the House.
Leader of Congress Legislature party Sadanand Singh also sought a high level inquiry into the issue.
Speaker Udai Narayan Chaughary who had earlier rejected an adjournment motion by Siddiqui and others on the subject gave permission for a discussion on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch