Meira asks for paying special attention to farmers & labourers
Patna: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar Tuesday urged governments to pay special attention to the condition of farmers and labourers whose condition, she said was pitiable though they were important wheels of the country.
There were any number of people interested in setting up industrial units and worrying about profit, but there were none who had the best interests of the farmers and labourers in mind and even foreign companies interested in investing capital were aware that abundant labour would be available to them at a cheap rate, the Lok Sabha Speaker said.
She also stressed on education of women and said that India has been the only country where education was deemed to be a goddess.
Kumar urged the people to understand the value of education of the girl child as it helped in the empowerment of women and society.
She said that whatever she has achieved in life has been due to proper education given by her parents in the era when the girls were generally not sent to school.
She was speaking at a function to celebrate the 90th birth anniversary of her mother in-law Sumitra Devi held under the aegis of the Kisan Mazdoor Vikas Sangathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nirbhaya-like rape in Kerala: NHRC issues notice to state govt
- Delhi to observe mandatory summer vacation with effect from May 11
- Karnataka Chemistry paper leak: Alleged kingpin held
- Marine Salvatore Girone will be home 'in a few weeks', says Italian minister
- New launch: Check out Micromax Canvas Mega 2 with 6-inch display at Rs 7,999