Meira Kumar`s niece gets BSP ticket on Sasaram (SC) LS seat
Patna: Apparently seeking to challenge her aunt`s claim to inherit legacy of iconic Congress leader Jagjivan Ram, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar`s niece Medhavi Kirti has entered the electoral ring against her in Sasaram (SC) Lok Sabha seat on BSP ticket.
Kirti, who has been embroiled for many years in political and legal battles against Kumar, daughter of late Jagjivan Ram, was given a go ahead by BSP supremo Mayawati to contest on her party ticket against Kumar, who is the sitting Congress MP from Sasaram Lok Sabha seat, Bihar unit BSP president Bharat Bind said today.
Earlier, Kirti had served as minister in the Bansi Lal government in Haryana in 1987.
Earlier in the day, she met the BSP chief in New Delhi where she was enrolled as a primary member of the party by Mayawati who obliged her with ticket from Sasaram (SC) parliamentary seat to contest against her aunt, he said.
Kirti, who is the daughter of late Suresh Ram, son of late Jagjivan Ram, will file her nomination papers tomorrow, Bind said.
The state unit BSP chief said that his party had earlier given ticket to Pankaj Kumar who stands replaced by Kirti.
The prestigious Sasaram (SC) Lok Sabha seat has two other notable candidates - BJP`s Chhedi Paswan and KP Ramaiah of the JD(U) - in the fray.
Sasaram (SC) seat will go to polls on April 10 with Karakat, Aurangabad, Gaya (SC), Nawada and Jamui (SC) parliamentary constituencies during the first phase of general elections in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report