Mercury plummets to all-time low in Patna
Patna: The mercury plummeted to an all-time low in Patna recording just 1.1 degree Celsius today as Bihar reeled under severe cold wave conditions with Gopalganj district remaining the coldest place in the state at zero degree Celsius.
"The 1.1 degree Celsius minimum temperature in Patna is 12 degree below normal. It is an all-time low since recording of temperature started in 1867," Patna Met department Director A K Sen told PTI.
The earliest lowest of 1.4 degree Celsius was recorded on January 21, 1984, he said.
Besides Gopalganj, the other districts to report near-zero temperatures were Jehanabad at 0.2 degree Celsius and Vaishali at 0.7 degrees Celsius.
Sabour in Bhagalpur district, Samastipur and Saharsa recorded minimum temperature of one degree Celsius, while Nawada, Siwan, Supaul, Sheohar, Bhojpur and Buxar districts it was less than two degree Celsius.
The sharp decline in the minimum temperature in all districts of Bihar is due to more than ten degree fall in the day temperature triggered by lack of sunshine in the past couple of days, Sen said.
The chilly weather condition is likely to persist over the next four days. But there will be improvement in day temperature with the sun shining moderately from today, he said.
Meanwhile, bone chilling winds swept through the plains districts compelling to people to sport additional woolens.
The state government has made arrangements for bonfire at public places like street corners, shelters for the poor people and bus stands for the benefit of the people, official sources said.
The severe cold wave conditions adversely affected road,
rail and air services in Bihar, official sources said.
The cold wave also disrupted rail services with a number of trains running behind schedule and many others getting rescheduled, the sources said.
The air service at the Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport at Patna too was affected with first commercial flight landing here only at 1630 hours, an airport official said.
There was no official confirmation on deaths due to cold though reports in a section of the media put the figure at 30.
Disaster Management department officials when contacted said district magistrates have been asked to send details in this regard.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!