Mercury plummets to all-time low in Patna
Patna: The mercury plummeted to an all-time low in Patna recording just 1.1 degree Celsius today as Bihar reeled under severe cold wave conditions with Gopalganj district remaining the coldest place in the state at zero degree Celsius.
"The 1.1 degree Celsius minimum temperature in Patna is 12 degree below normal. It is an all-time low since recording of temperature started in 1867," Patna Met department Director A K Sen told PTI.
The earliest lowest of 1.4 degree Celsius was recorded on January 21, 1984, he said.
Besides Gopalganj, the other districts to report near-zero temperatures were Jehanabad at 0.2 degree Celsius and Vaishali at 0.7 degrees Celsius.
Sabour in Bhagalpur district, Samastipur and Saharsa recorded minimum temperature of one degree Celsius, while Nawada, Siwan, Supaul, Sheohar, Bhojpur and Buxar districts it was less than two degree Celsius.
The sharp decline in the minimum temperature in all districts of Bihar is due to more than ten degree fall in the day temperature triggered by lack of sunshine in the past couple of days, Sen said.
The chilly weather condition is likely to persist over the next four days. But there will be improvement in day temperature with the sun shining moderately from today, he said.
Meanwhile, bone chilling winds swept through the plains districts compelling to people to sport additional woolens.
The state government has made arrangements for bonfire at public places like street corners, shelters for the poor people and bus stands for the benefit of the people, official sources said.
The severe cold wave conditions adversely affected road,
rail and air services in Bihar, official sources said.
The cold wave also disrupted rail services with a number of trains running behind schedule and many others getting rescheduled, the sources said.
The air service at the Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport at Patna too was affected with first commercial flight landing here only at 1630 hours, an airport official said.
There was no official confirmation on deaths due to cold though reports in a section of the media put the figure at 30.
Disaster Management department officials when contacted said district magistrates have been asked to send details in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly