Mid-day meal resumes in Bihar school
Patna: The mid-day meal was cooked for the first time in two months in a primary school in Bihar where 23 school children died after eating contaminated food, officials said on Tuesday.
The meal was cooked Monday in the school in Dharmasati Gandaman village in Saran district, a district official said.
"A total of 103 school children ate the mid-day meal Sep 16. After the July 16 tragedy, no meal was cooked in the school for two months as parents and villagers were against it," the official said.
Authorities persuaded the villagers to accede to the resumption of mid-day meals.
"As per an official order, teachers of the school first tasted the midday meal and then served it to children," the official said.
Rameshwar Mahto, a villager, said children brought lunch from home last month.
The primary school does not have its own building and was earlier running from a one-room community centre when the tragedy occurred.
Later, the state government shut the primary school and clubbed it with a middle school in the village, said Amarjeet Sinha, state principal secretary for education.
A special investigation team probing the incident is yet to submit its final report.
A forensic lab report confirmed traces of insecticide in the cooking oil used to cook the mid-day meal July 16. Nearly 50 children were admitted to hospital where 23 died.
Around 16 million children in 72,000 schools across Bihar eat the mid-day meal every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?