Mid-day meal tragedy: Bihar govt gets NHRC notice
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) today issued notices to the Bihar government over the issue of 22 children losing their lives after consuming mid-day meal at a state-run school in Saran district.
According to a statement issued by NHRC, the Commission has ordered principal secretary of Bihar education department and Saran SP to submit a report in the matter within four weeks.
"They have also been directed to inform whether any legal action has been taken in the matter. The officers have been asked to inform the Commission the compensation, if any, proposed to be granted to the next of kin of the deceased," the statement said.
The notices were issued after NHRC took suo-motu cognisance of media reports that 22 children died and 25 others undergoing treatment after consuming mid-day meal served at Gandaman primary school at Mashrakh block in Saran district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube