Minister compares Lalu Yadav`s jail term with Nelson Mandela`s
Medininagar: Drawing a parallel between Lalu Prasad and anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela, Jharkhand minister Annapurna Devi on Sunday said the jailed leader would be a "future challenger" for the post of prime minister.
"Nelson Mandela had been jailed for 27 years following his protest against the apartheid regime. When he came out he became the president of South Africa. Our leader, Lalu Prasad, will also come out from the jail and become a challenger to the post of the prime minister," Devi, also a RJD leader, said here.
She was addressing the RJD`s Palamau Division Convention here.
RJD MP and party`s Jharkhand affairs in-charge Ram Kripal Yadav said, "We have faith in the judiciary. Our leader will come out to lead us again."
Prasad is serving five years rigorous imprisonment from September 30 after a special CBI court found him and 44 others guilty in a fodder scam case, pertaining to fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 37.7 crore.
The former Bihar chief minister has moved the Jharkhand High Court for bail and staying of the sentence and the Rs 25 lakh fine.
The HC has asked for the lower court`s record in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth