Missing girl`s family seeks President help
Imphal: A journalist was killed in police firing on the second day of the indefinite strike in Manipur called by a film body demanding the arrest of a Naga militant for allegedly molesting a film actress.
Nanao Singh (29) was killed this afternoon when the police opened fire at Thangmeiband area near here in Imphal West district at supporters of the general strike who torched a police vehicle and obstructed the plying of public and security vehicles, official sources said.
Singh, a reporter of the newspaper `Prime News` was hit by a bullet on his chest. He succumbed to his injury at a hospital here.
As the news of the death spread, violence took place in different parts of Manipur valley areas, particularly in Imphal East and Imphal West districts, official reports from the districts said.
The bandh supporters, who have been demanding the arrest of NSCN(IM) militant Livingstone Anal for allegedly molesting Manipuri film actress Momoko in public view during a musical concert in Chandel district on December 18, stepped up their blockade of all major roads and brickbatted the police when they tried to remove them.
They damaged and set afire at least four public vehicles who defied the general strike at Shingjamei, Sagolband and some other areas despite the large deployment of police forces.
State Home Minister Gaikhangam visited the hospital and condoled the death of Nanao Singh. He also appealed to the agitators to remain calm and cooperate with the authorities to restore the situation.
Hundreds of journalists gathered at the Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital where Singh died. The body was later taken to the Manipur press club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them