Mob assault police officer, burn vehicle after custodial death
Jehanabad: A man today died under mysterious circumstances in police custody sparking off a massive protest by villagers who assaulted a cop before torching a vehicle at Shakurabad police station in Bihar`s Jehanabad district, police said.
Protesting the death of Devaki Chaudhary (70), a mob from Gagankura village barged into Shakurbad police station and assaulted the Officer In-Charge Vijay Kumar and vandalised the police station before torching the car parked there.
The protesters also blocked road between Nehalpur and Pandaul demanding action against policemen.
Chaudhary was arrested last evening on the charge of power theft and taken to police station where his condition deteriorated prompting police to take him to the Sadar hospital where he was declared brought dead this morning, police said.
Superintendent of Police Shayali Dhurat has promised a probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing