Modi and seven others acquitted in defamation case
Patna: A local court on Wednesday acquitted
former Leader of Opposition in Bihar Sushil Kumar Modi and
seven others in a defamation case filed against them by the
then RJD Member of Legislative Council (MLC) Anirudh Yadav
alias Sadhu Yadav 13 years ago.
Judicial magistrate Kalpana Srivastava passed the
order acquitting Modi, presently the Deputy Chief Minister,
and seven others for lack of evidence against them in the
In the case filed in the court of the Chief Judicial
Magistrate in 1998, the former RJD leader had charged Modi and
others with bringing disrepute to the latter by making
defamatory allegations against eight persons occupying high
offices which were published in two English dailies.
Quoting media reports attributed to Modi between
October 4 and November 4, 1998, Yadav said he was charged with
smuggling of illegal arms, making money in transfer of police
officials, assault of a police official in Gopalganj district
and seeking bribe in lieu of issuance of licences to liquor
He claimed his credibility among people was dented
irreparably after such reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why