Modi and seven others acquitted in defamation case
Patna: A local court on Wednesday acquitted
former Leader of Opposition in Bihar Sushil Kumar Modi and
seven others in a defamation case filed against them by the
then RJD Member of Legislative Council (MLC) Anirudh Yadav
alias Sadhu Yadav 13 years ago.
Judicial magistrate Kalpana Srivastava passed the
order acquitting Modi, presently the Deputy Chief Minister,
and seven others for lack of evidence against them in the
In the case filed in the court of the Chief Judicial
Magistrate in 1998, the former RJD leader had charged Modi and
others with bringing disrepute to the latter by making
defamatory allegations against eight persons occupying high
offices which were published in two English dailies.
Quoting media reports attributed to Modi between
October 4 and November 4, 1998, Yadav said he was charged with
smuggling of illegal arms, making money in transfer of police
officials, assault of a police official in Gopalganj district
and seeking bribe in lieu of issuance of licences to liquor
He claimed his credibility among people was dented
irreparably after such reports.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference