Muslim clerics to boycott marriage of drunkards, dowry seekers
Biharsharif (Bihar): Drunkards and dowry seekers in eastern states will find it difficult to get their marriage solemnised with a group of Muslim clerics deciding to boycott such people.
The decision to this effect was taken at a meeting of clerics called here by Kazi Maulana Mansoor Alam, chief of "Darul-Qaza", a district unit of Imarat-e-Shariah, which regulates religious activities of Muslims in Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha.
Giving details of the deliberations held last week, Alam told a news agency that the decision was an attempt to fight social evils like dowry and liquor which are prohibited in Islam.
The clerics have decided to launch a campaign in Nalanda district to appeal to Imams of local mosques to join them and keep away from performing marriage ceremony of individuals in the habit of drinking liquor and seeking dowry, he said.
Nalanda, home district of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, has a sizable population of Muslims.
He said the decision was in tune with tenets of the holy Quran which prohibits consumption of liquor and terms taking or giving dowry as "haram" (unlawful).
Alam lamented that there was an increase in dowry-related cases and alcohol consumption particularly among youths of the community and said the clerics felt there was an urgent need to prevent such vices.
They emphasised that Muslim marriage should be performed in accordance with "Shariyat".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes
- KSEEB 2nd (II) PUC Results 2016 Karnataka Board: Kseeb.kar.nic.in & karresults.nic.in for Class 12th XII, Second PUC Exam Results 2016 Karnataka Board, KSEEB to be declared shortly
- Devastated Ben Stokes undergoes surgery; Reece Topley ruled out for three months
- Honda City Vs Honda BR-V: A comparative review
- Have you seen Bajrang Dal training video shot in Ayodhya? Watch it here