Mystery disease claims 12 lives in Bihar
Patna: A mysterious disease has left 12 people, including three women, dead in Bihar`s East Champaran district in the past four days, officials said Wednesday.
East Champaran district magistrate Sridhar C. said all the deaths occurred in Bahurupia and Phulwaria areas of the Sugauli block, and were due to an unknown disease.
"A team of medical experts is examining the cause of the death," Sridhar said.
He said a team of forensic experts from Patna collected samples from the locations where the deaths took place. The samples were of the water and the food the deceased consumed.
"Post-mortem examinations were conducted under supervision of forensic experts. The viscera was preserved for investigation," he said.
The victims complained of vomiting and severe headache, among other symptoms.
The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party leader and former deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi said the deaths were due to drinking moonshine.
But the state government as well as local administration are suppressing the facts, he said.
Sushil Modi is likely to visit Sugauli area to meet the kin of those who have died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says