Mystery disease kills two more in Bihar
Patna: Two more children have died of a mysterious disease in Bihar, taking the toll to 34 in the state, officials said on Wednesday.
The children died after reporting high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness in Muzaffarpur district late Tuesday.
Locals have termed the disease as "chamki ki bimari" and said the symptoms were similar to encephalitis -- a disease that causes inflammation of the brain.
However, state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said experts were in the process of identifying the disease and it was "not proper to term it encephalitis".
Two expert teams -- one from Pune-based National Institute of Virology and another from the union health ministry -- visited a hospital in Muzaffarpur Tuesday where dozens of children are undergoing treatment.
"Both teams along with local health officials will also visit the villages where the children have died," Gopal Shankar Shahni, a doctor at the Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) in Muzaffarpur, told IANS on telephone.
Principal secretary, health, Amarjeet Sinha said the experts would collect samples of animals to identify the cause of the disease.
The teams will Wednesday visit Kejriwal Hospital in Muzaffarpur. Over three dozen children are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog