Mystery disease kills two more in Bihar
Patna: Two more children have died of a mysterious disease in Bihar, taking the toll to 34 in the state, officials said on Wednesday.
The children died after reporting high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness in Muzaffarpur district late Tuesday.
Locals have termed the disease as "chamki ki bimari" and said the symptoms were similar to encephalitis -- a disease that causes inflammation of the brain.
However, state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said experts were in the process of identifying the disease and it was "not proper to term it encephalitis".
Two expert teams -- one from Pune-based National Institute of Virology and another from the union health ministry -- visited a hospital in Muzaffarpur Tuesday where dozens of children are undergoing treatment.
"Both teams along with local health officials will also visit the villages where the children have died," Gopal Shankar Shahni, a doctor at the Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) in Muzaffarpur, told IANS on telephone.
Principal secretary, health, Amarjeet Sinha said the experts would collect samples of animals to identify the cause of the disease.
The teams will Wednesday visit Kejriwal Hospital in Muzaffarpur. Over three dozen children are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- After Gujarat, Dalits attacked in Karnataka's Chikkamagaluru for storing beef; seven Bajrang Dal activists booked
- Nora Fatehi not happy with Salman Yusuf Khan's entry in 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9'?
- This herbal combo packs powerful punch against colon cancer
- Twist in tale! Lalit Modi to install son Ruchir as Rajasthan Cricket Association boss
- 225 killed or missing in China torrential rains; 2.5 lakh people trapped