Mystery disease kills two more in Bihar
Patna: Two more children have died of a mysterious disease in Bihar, taking the toll to 34 in the state, officials said on Wednesday.
The children died after reporting high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness in Muzaffarpur district late Tuesday.
Locals have termed the disease as "chamki ki bimari" and said the symptoms were similar to encephalitis -- a disease that causes inflammation of the brain.
However, state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said experts were in the process of identifying the disease and it was "not proper to term it encephalitis".
Two expert teams -- one from Pune-based National Institute of Virology and another from the union health ministry -- visited a hospital in Muzaffarpur Tuesday where dozens of children are undergoing treatment.
"Both teams along with local health officials will also visit the villages where the children have died," Gopal Shankar Shahni, a doctor at the Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) in Muzaffarpur, told IANS on telephone.
Principal secretary, health, Amarjeet Sinha said the experts would collect samples of animals to identify the cause of the disease.
The teams will Wednesday visit Kejriwal Hospital in Muzaffarpur. Over three dozen children are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati and Pimpri Chinchwad seats