Naidu slams Opposition parties for opposing Land Bill

With the deadlock over Land Acquisition Bill continuing in Parliament and no indication of any breakthrough, Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Friday slammed opposition parties for "ganging up" and "working against the interest of farmers".

PTI| Last Updated: Mar 27, 2015, 18:19 PM IST

Patna: With the deadlock over Land Acquisition Bill continuing in Parliament and no indication of any breakthrough, Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Friday slammed opposition parties for "ganging up" and "working against the interest of farmers".

"The opposition parties have ganged up against the Land Acquisition Bill. Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Communists and other such parties are saying they will agitate against it. They are just spreading misconceptions about the Bill which is in the interest of farmers," the Union parliamentary affairs minister said.

"Moreover, we have a provision in the Bill that if any state does not want to implement the new law, it is free to implement the previous land acquisition law made by the UPA government," Naidu said.

He appealed to people to "see through the designs of the opposition parties", who, he said, were agitating to gain political advantage at the cost of their welfare.

Elaborating on the Bill, he said it will affect less than 0.5 per cent of farmers but will bring benefits for the rest 99.5 per cent in various ways through developmental works.

"The farmers, from whom, land will be acquired for development projects, will be given four times compensation for it. A boy and a girl from their families will be given government jobs. We will see to it that they do not suffer at any cost," Naidu said.

He pooh-poohed the claims by opposition parties that the Bill has been designed to benefit corporate houses and industrialists.

"Let me tell very clearly that the Central government will not acquire land for any industry. It will be acquired only for public projects like ponds, dams, national highways, railways, ports, airports and other connectivity projects. These cannot be built without land," he added.