Nalanda cops who thrashed women, suspended
Nalanda: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has suspended with immediate effect all policemen, who were caught on camera brutally thrashing women protesters in Nalanda, claimed reports on Thursday.
Kumar, who watched the TV footage of police brutality, directed the ADG (HQ) Rajyabardhan Sharma to suspend the policemen raining lathis on women and children, and ordered a thorough probe into the incident.
The Bihar Chief Minister is also likely to visit the place to take stock of things personally as Nalanda happens to be his native district.
Disturbing TV footage, aired by several news channels on Wednesday, showed a couple of Nalanda policemen going berserk outside the Noorsarai Police Station and raining lathi blows on a big crowd of Chandasi village protestors.
At least two dozen people, including women and children, were badly injured in the police lathicharge. The crowd had gathered to protest at the police station when DIG, Magadh range, Vineet Vinayak and Nalanda SP Jeetendra Rana reached there to inquire into a case of a missing woman of Chandasi village.
The protestors alleged that the woman was murdered and her body disposed off. Angry protesters surrounded the police station and also pelted stones, which forced the policemen to resort to lathicharge to disperse the crowd.
Some police vehicles were also vandalized.
At Chandasi village, Rambalak Prasad, night guard of a school, had filed an FIR stating that his wife Sushma Kumari was kidnapped by the relatives of an ASI, Ashok Singh, on August 26 but the ASI refused to look into his complaint, saying she might have been murdered. Singh allegedly had illicit relations with Prasad`s sister and the couple had been opposing the relation.
Prasad had earlier met CM Nitish Kumar at his Janata Durbar and submitted a petition recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH