Nalanda University to start functioning from 2013
Patna: The Nalanda university will begin
academic activities from the 2013-14 session from rented
premises with two subjects - Historical studies and
Environment and Ecological studies, Vice-Chancellor Gopa
Sabarwal said on Wednesday.
The Nalanda university, being set up in the scenic
precincts around Ranjir, will launch academic activities from
2013-14 session and start with two subjects, she told
reporters after 10-hour-long meeting of the governing board
attended among others by Nobel laureate Prof Amartya Sen.
The university will carry out academic activities from
rented premises for the time being till the construction of
its own campus the work on which was in progress, Sabarwal
The contour of the historical studies will have a
strong archaeological component in view of the excavations
significance of the Nalanda region and Bihar which has had a
great historical background since ancient times, Nalanda
university vice-chancellor said.
Speaking on the occasion, Sen expressed satisfaction
with the progress in the construction of Nalanda University
campus and said that the members of the governing board will
inspect the construction site tomorrow.
Referring to the governing board`s agenda, he said
that the members, barring Lord Meghnad Saha who was absent due
to personal reasons, discussed and approved financial rules,
statutes and rules and regulations of the new university.
Prof Sen said that the governing board has set up a
high-powered international advisory panel headed by its
member and former Singapore foreign minister George Yeo with a
purpose to bring the world to Bihar by making investment in
the new university.
Instead of Bihar seeking to draw attention of the
world about its historical significance vis-a-vis ancient
Nalanda university, it was the world and Asia which were
looking upto the state with interests and the panel will help
channelise the growing global interests into investment.
Meanwhile, another Nalanda university governing board
member N K Singh said that the next meeting of the governing
board will be held in Beijing sometime in the middle of
October this year at the invitation of the Chinese government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why