NCP opposes demand for special status for Bihar
Patna: The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
on Sunday opposed the demand for special status to Bihar and said
it would make the state dependent on the Centre like the north
"The protagonists for a special status to Bihar should
understand the fact that the state will become dependent upon
the Centre for all the time like the north-eastern region",
NCP General Secretary Tariq Anwar told reporters in Patna.
"We want and wish the state to be self-dependent for
development," he said.
Anwar said the chorus by the ruling NDA in Bihar for
special status was "politically motivated" as it was trying to
abdicate its responsbility for the prevailing economic
backwardness of the state by passing the buck on the Centre.
The NDA should remember that it was in power at the Centre
when there was a demand for a special package of Rs 1.80 lakh
crore as compensation to Bihar for losses because of creation
of Jharkhand in 2000, the NCP leader said.
"Now that the NDA is out of power at the Centre, it is
raising the demand for special status to Bihar for political
convenience," Anwar said.
The NCP leader asked the state government to spend the
central fund in a judicious manner for development purposes
which "it has not been doing as per CAG report."
The NDA Government should also take lesson from Punjab and
Haryana which were not given special benefits at the time of
reorganization of the states in 1960s, but have become
developed states with their own resources, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy