NDA should promise quota for upper caste, minorities: Mishra
Patna: Former Bihar Chief Minister Jagannath
Mishra on Wednesday suggested that the ruling NDA should promise
reservation for poor among the upper caste and minorities
thereby utilising nine per cent of the quota previously
earmarked for tribals in Bihar.
Talking to reporters here, Mishra said the tribals in
Bihar enjoyed one per cent reservation at present against 10
per cent extended to them before a separate state of Jharkhand
was carved out in 2000.
"It will be better if rest of the nine per cent of quota
for tribals is being utilised and made available for upper
caste (four per cent) and minorities (five per cent)...I
suggest that ruling NDA should promise reservation for them,"
Mishra, thrice Chief Minister of Bihar, said.
Describing as "cruel joke" RJD supremo Lalu Prasad`s
promise to provide 10 per cent reservation for poor among
upper caste, he said, Prasad when he became Chief Minister in
1990, rescinded the Karpoori formula of reservation.
He claimed that the then Chief Minister Karpoori Thakur
had provided three per cent reservation for poor among the
upper caste in government jobs.
Showering praise on the NDA rule led by Nitish Kumar,
Mishra said the alliance would stage a comeback "to complete
its unfinished agenda of development."
He claimed that the Congress would "not fare well" in
Bihar this elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory