Nearly 1500 turtles seized in Bihar
Patna: Bihar Police seized nearly 1,500 turtles on Monday in Gaya district and arrested two people, who were part of a gang smuggling rare turtles, an official said.
Acting on a tip-off, a police team nabbed the two men from near Barachatti in Gaya, about 100 km from here, he said.
There is huge demand in the international market for these rare species of turtles with distinct star marks on their shells.
India has banned the trade of turtles under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act, but the huge premium and lax implementation of laws are increasingly luring smugglers to the illegal trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?