Nearly 1500 turtles seized in Bihar
Patna: Bihar Police seized nearly 1,500 turtles on Monday in Gaya district and arrested two people, who were part of a gang smuggling rare turtles, an official said.
Acting on a tip-off, a police team nabbed the two men from near Barachatti in Gaya, about 100 km from here, he said.
There is huge demand in the international market for these rare species of turtles with distinct star marks on their shells.
India has banned the trade of turtles under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act, but the huge premium and lax implementation of laws are increasingly luring smugglers to the illegal trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH