NHRC asks Bihar govt to pay Rs 5l to rape victim
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) today recommended to the Bihar government to
pay Rs five lakh as interim relief to a woman raped by a home
guard at a police outpost in the state last year.
The state Chief Secretary has been directed to send the
proof of payment made to the victim within four weeks, an NHRC
spokesperson said. The incident was reported from Bagah in
Champaran West on March 4, 2011.
In addition, the district administration has also been
asked to inform the Commission as to whether the victim
belonged to SC/ST category.
The action came following a complaint by lawyer-activist
Prabir Kumar Das in July, seeking NHRC`s intervention in the
In response to the Commission?s proceedings and notices
in the matter, the Bihar government had informed that the
accused home guard was arrested and proceedings in the court
were initiated against him.
The process for termination of his service was also in
progress. The ASI in-charge of the police outpost was also
suspended and departmental proceedings were initiated against
him, the NHRC spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video