NHRC summons Bihar Police chief in missing girl case
Patna: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has summoned the Bihar Police chief to appear before it for failing to submit a report on a minor girl missing since September 18 last year.
The NHRC has asked Director General of Police Abhyanand to appear before it personally at its office in New Delhi on May 03.
"Despite giving sufficient time and opportunity, the requisite report has not been received. In these circumstances, let director general of police, Bihar, personally appear before the commission on May 03 along with the requisite report," the commission said.
The 13-year-old girl was abducted from her house in Muzaffarpur district on September 18. However, the state police have failed to make any breakthrough in the case till date.
In October last year, Abhisek Ranjan, a Delhi University law student, had filed a complaint with the NHRC in this regard, and the commission had directed the Bihar Police to submit a report on the case by December 06.
According to officials in the state home department, despite two reminders sent subsequently to the Bihar Police, the commission did not get any response on the incident.
Early this year, the investigation was handed over to the crime investigation department (CID) of Bihar Police.
Atulya Chakravorty, father of the girl, has alleged that his daughter was abducted by land mafia as he refused to give up a piece of prime land in Muzaffarpur.
A skeleton was found from a drain near Chakravorty`s house. But despite a court order, Chakravorty and his wife refused to give their blood samples for a DNA test, saying the skeleton was not their daughter`s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in