NHRC summons Bihar Police chief in missing girl case
Patna: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has summoned the Bihar Police chief to appear before it for failing to submit a report on a minor girl missing since September 18 last year.
The NHRC has asked Director General of Police Abhyanand to appear before it personally at its office in New Delhi on May 03.
"Despite giving sufficient time and opportunity, the requisite report has not been received. In these circumstances, let director general of police, Bihar, personally appear before the commission on May 03 along with the requisite report," the commission said.
The 13-year-old girl was abducted from her house in Muzaffarpur district on September 18. However, the state police have failed to make any breakthrough in the case till date.
In October last year, Abhisek Ranjan, a Delhi University law student, had filed a complaint with the NHRC in this regard, and the commission had directed the Bihar Police to submit a report on the case by December 06.
According to officials in the state home department, despite two reminders sent subsequently to the Bihar Police, the commission did not get any response on the incident.
Early this year, the investigation was handed over to the crime investigation department (CID) of Bihar Police.
Atulya Chakravorty, father of the girl, has alleged that his daughter was abducted by land mafia as he refused to give up a piece of prime land in Muzaffarpur.
A skeleton was found from a drain near Chakravorty`s house. But despite a court order, Chakravorty and his wife refused to give their blood samples for a DNA test, saying the skeleton was not their daughter`s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead