Nine kids among 10 killed in Bihar boat tragedy
Madhepura: Nine children were among 10 persons killed when the country boat they were on capsized here in a flooded tributary of Kosi river, official sources said Friday.
There were 11 persons aboard the boat and only one of them, a girl, could be saved, District Magistrate Upendra Kumar told reporters last night. Kumar further said that the mishap occurred at around 10.30 pm last night.
Among the dead are five girls and four boys, all aged between 8 to 12 years, Kumar said.
As tragedy struck, the screams of the victims brought villagers nearby to their rescue. While nine of the victims drowned before the rescuers could reach them, a girl who was admitted to a local hospital in a serious condition died this morning, the DM added.
The victims, who belong to two families, were being ferried back home to Khawan village from Pandit Basa village on the other side of the river where they had gone to attend a function at the home of a district JD(U) leader, Mohan Sharma.
The accident took place in Alamnagar block in the Ratwara police outpost area.
Kosi and other rivers have been in spate since the onset of monsoon. Last night`s incident is being attributed to a rise in the water level in the tributary river.
Madhepura is the Parliamentary constituency of JD(U) national president Sharad Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe
- Virat Kohli: Homework was a 'big headache'
- Three more Indian athletes qualify for Rio Olympics