Nine kids among 10 killed in Bihar boat tragedy
Madhepura: Nine children were among 10 persons killed when the country boat they were on capsized here in a flooded tributary of Kosi river, official sources said Friday.
There were 11 persons aboard the boat and only one of them, a girl, could be saved, District Magistrate Upendra Kumar told reporters last night. Kumar further said that the mishap occurred at around 10.30 pm last night.
Among the dead are five girls and four boys, all aged between 8 to 12 years, Kumar said.
As tragedy struck, the screams of the victims brought villagers nearby to their rescue. While nine of the victims drowned before the rescuers could reach them, a girl who was admitted to a local hospital in a serious condition died this morning, the DM added.
The victims, who belong to two families, were being ferried back home to Khawan village from Pandit Basa village on the other side of the river where they had gone to attend a function at the home of a district JD(U) leader, Mohan Sharma.
The accident took place in Alamnagar block in the Ratwara police outpost area.
Kosi and other rivers have been in spate since the onset of monsoon. Last night`s incident is being attributed to a rise in the water level in the tributary river.
Madhepura is the Parliamentary constituency of JD(U) national president Sharad Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it