Nine kids among 10 killed in Bihar boat tragedy
Madhepura: Nine children were among 10 persons killed when the country boat they were on capsized here in a flooded tributary of Kosi river, official sources said Friday.
There were 11 persons aboard the boat and only one of them, a girl, could be saved, District Magistrate Upendra Kumar told reporters last night. Kumar further said that the mishap occurred at around 10.30 pm last night.
Among the dead are five girls and four boys, all aged between 8 to 12 years, Kumar said.
As tragedy struck, the screams of the victims brought villagers nearby to their rescue. While nine of the victims drowned before the rescuers could reach them, a girl who was admitted to a local hospital in a serious condition died this morning, the DM added.
The victims, who belong to two families, were being ferried back home to Khawan village from Pandit Basa village on the other side of the river where they had gone to attend a function at the home of a district JD(U) leader, Mohan Sharma.
The accident took place in Alamnagar block in the Ratwara police outpost area.
Kosi and other rivers have been in spate since the onset of monsoon. Last night`s incident is being attributed to a rise in the water level in the tributary river.
Madhepura is the Parliamentary constituency of JD(U) national president Sharad Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog