Nitish accuses UPA govt of cheating Bihar on special status issue
Lakhisarai: Stepping up his attack on UPA government ahead of Lok Sabha elections, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday accused the Centre of cheating Bihar and its people by putting the demand of special status in cold storage.
"We have been cheated by the Centre as it put the process for grant of special status to Bihar or an equivalent situation in the cold stage due to political reasons," he said at the JD(U)`s ninth Sankalp rally here.
Kumar lamented that the Centre deferred at the very last minute the meeting of a committee headed by the Union Finance Ministry on November 26 last when it was slated to take a decision on granting special status or something equivalent to it on basis of Raghuram Rajan committee report.
"It was done so due to political reasons," he said, adding the Centre`s retrograde step was nothing but cheating with Bihar and its people.
Hardening his stand on the issue, the chief minister said the special status demand was not a dole by Centre, but a right of Bihar and its people.
"I will not sit quite till I attain the special status demand," Kumar said. The chief minister also hit back at the BJP and returned the betrayal charge saying he did not betray the erstwhile ally, but the latter did so to him by projecting a divisive leader as its prime ministerial candidate, he said, referring to Narendra Modi.
"It`s our consistent and considered view that a person aspiring to lead the country have to take all sections of the society and be committed to economic development of backward states," the senior JD(U) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why