Nitish also says no FDI in multi-brand retail
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday said it is not possible to accept FDI in multi-brand retail in the state "as it is converse to policy of growth with justice".
"It is our considered view that as the domestic retailing is underdeveloped and is in a nascent stage, it is important that this sector is allowed to grow and consolidate first before any liberalisation," he said in a letter to Union Minister of Commerce, Industry and Textile Anand Sharma.
"We have to be very cautious and careful because at stake is the stablity of vital pillars of our economy-retailing, agriculture and manufacturing," Kumar said.
It needs to be highlighted that the negative effects of FDI in retail in terms of job loss, displacement of small retailers and undermining of traditional supply chains by the monopoly power of multinational retailers far outweigh the professed benefits, the Chief Minister said.
"Therefore, the case for opening up of the retail sector to FDI does not seem to be justifiable and is converse to our policy of growth with justice. Thus, in view of the above it is not possible for us to accept FDI in retail in our state," he said.
Finally in the interest of farmers, retailers and consumers, the central government should reconsider its decision for liberalisation of FDI policy in multi-brand retail, he said.
The Chief Minister said that he had received Sharma`s letter regarding the union cabinet`s decision for liberalisation of the Foreign Direct investment (FDI) policy in multi brand retail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27