Nitish asks PM to set up expert committee
Patna: Expressing disappointment over the rejection of special category status to Bihar, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to set up an expert committee to consider the state`s long pending demand.
The Centre should set up an expert committee to consider in-depth a memorandum on the special category status to Bihar and various letters written by the state government for a decision on the long pending request, he said in a letter to the prime minister yesterday.
"The expert committee should take a fair and rational decision on demand for special category status to Bihar and respond positively to the aspirations of a poor, backward state, which notwithstanding recent process, remains at the bottom of development pyramid both in terms of poverty indicators and various indices of human development," Kumar said.
He also urged Singh to direct the special cell in the Planning Commission set up in the context of Bihar Reorganization Act to draft short and medium-term measures to mitigate the consequences of the bifurcation of the state.
"The 103.8 million people of Bihar expect justice and equity to meet their legitimate aspirations and are hopeful that the central government will initiate steps to fulfil their needs," Kumar said and hoped that the Centre will set up the expert committee to consider important suggestions mentioned in the memorandum for special category status.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory