Nitish asks schools to be on guard against poisoning of handpumps
Patna: Expressing concern over reports of several students getting ill after drinking contaminated water in their schools, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday said the School Education Committees (SECs) and Chowkidars have been asked to be vigilant against "poisoning of handpumps".
The SECs and Chowkidars have been directed to remain vigilant against poisoning of handpumps in school premises and villages by miscreants and anti-social elements, he told reporters in reply to a question.
The SECs have been asked to take special precaution for storage of foodgrains and raw materials used for cooking mid-day meals in the schools to prevent adulteration by anyone, Kumar said.
People too should remain alert all the time to prevent poisoning of handpumps and contamination of water to prevent an untoward incident, the Chief Minister said.
On asked whether there was a pattern in poisoning of handpumps in schools spread over several districts of Bihar soon after the occurrence of the mid-day meal tragedy in in Saran district on July 16 in which 23 students died, he said that it was too early to reach to such a conclusion, but if a pattern is established during probe then the report will be shared with all, including media.
Kumar said that a detailed probe was going into entire sequence of events related to illness of school children due to drinking of contaminated water from handpumps in all incidents that have been reported till date.
All of us should be patient to find out a pattern, if any, in poisoning of handpumps in schools during the ongoing probe, Kumar said, adding that the publicity wings of the state government too have been activated to collate informations about all incidents of handpumps poisoning, illness of the students and their treatment at various hospitals for carrying out a detailed study in this regard.
Hundreds of school children have been taken ill after drinking water from handpumps which were suspected to have been poisoned by miscreants and anti-social elements to create panic in the society with the ruling JD(U) sources alleging that the incidents were carried out at the instance of its rivals for political mileage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees