Nitish calls Anna `saint`
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday termed Anna Hazare a `saint` and asked JD(U)leaders and workers to take lesson from his fast, which entered the ninth day today, and remain vigilant to check corruption.
``A saint like Anna Hazare has jolted the UPA government at the Centre by sitting on a fast in Delhi for a strong Jan Lokpal,`` Kumar said addressing a meeting of party officer bearers from districts, senior leaders and workers here.
``I call upon all of you to remain vigilant ... work unitedly to root out corruption from all levels,`` he said.
He said, the state government would organize a camp on August 27 to distribute money directly to beneficiaries for construction of houses under Indira Awas Yojana at every block.
``We have to eliminate middlemen responsible for corruption under IAY,`` he said adding JD(U) workers would have to ensure that the money reached genuine beneficiaries.
Kumar also asked JD(U) workers to create awareness among the people against corruption and campaign intensively to highlight the benefits of the Right to Service Act implemented on August 15 in the state to check corruption in public utility services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa