Nitish declines comment on Katju`s remarks
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Saturday declined to comment on Press Council Chairman Justice
Markandey Katju`s statement that the press did not enjoy
freedom in the state and was harassed if they wrote against
"I am not required to offer any comment," Kumar told
reporters on the sidelines of the 87th foundation day of the
Patna Medical College Hospital here.
However, Health Minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey, who was
also present said, "Press enjoys full freedom in Bihar".
"We will congratulate Katjusaheb if he sees only the
issue of freedom of press instead of finding out what is
happening in Bihar and the steps taken by Nitish Kumar for
development with justice in the state," he said.
After slamming Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan over attacks on journalists in the state, Katju had
yesterday targeted the Bihar government alleging the media in
the state was harassed if it wrote against the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'