Nitish denies interference in Bengal gang-rape victim probe
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday denied interfering in the probe into the gangrape of a 16-year-old girl, beyond merely responding to people`s `sentiments` by deputing a senior police official to visit West Bengal and providing financial assistance to the victim`s family.
"It was not an interference whatsoever... We only articulated `sentiments` of the people of Bihar by rushing in a senior police official to West Bengal with financial assistance for the victim`s family and other help," he told reporters here.
He said that as soon as he came to know about the gangrape and death of the girl from Bihar, he deputed Inspector General of Police, Special Branch, G S Gangwar to visit Kolkata and sent Rs one lakh assistance from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund.
Regretting the West Bengal urban development minister Firhad Hakim`s charge of interference by the Bihar government in law and order in the state, the chief minister said that his government`s approach had not been seen in correct perspective.
Defending the state government`s move to extend help to the victim`s family, he said that the government only acted upon the sentiments of the people and added that it was not for the first time that the state government had done so.
"We had also extended financial help for treatment of a gangrape victim in Rajasthan even as the Assam government too had written a letter to us for justice to a victim of train robbery incident in Bihar last year," Kumar argued.
He said that the Bihar government had a policy to provide assistance to the migrant people from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund and the same had been followed in the present case.
The West Bengal minister had reacted sharply to the Bihar government`s rushing a police officer to Kolkata to find out the facts in the gangrape case and described it as interference in West Bengal`s affairs by Kumar.
"Such an interference in the law and order issue in another state is beyond the jurisdiction and against the federal structure of the country," he had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know