Nitish favours reducing age of juvenile to 16
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday suggested change in laws against heinous crimes like rape with provision of speedy trial and favoured reducing juvenile age from 18 to 16 years in view of the spate of crimes being committed by youngsters.
"People held on charge of rape should be meted out stringent punishment through speedy trial to instil fear among them," Kumar told reporters emerging from `Janata Ke Darbar me Mukhya Mantri" programme.
He said Bihar had successfully tested speedy trial in several cases including the one involving a foreigner rape victim. In that case judicial proceedings were completed in less than two months and culprits handed out punishment.
Kumar also favoured reducing the age of juvenile offenders to 16 from 18 at present in view of increasing number of crimes committed by youngsters.
"It`s a serious issue which needs to be revisited in view of increase in crimes being committed by youngsters nowadays," he said.
One of the accused in the Delhi gang-rape case turned out to be a juvenile for whom the maximum punishment would be three years of confinement in remand home.
On comments of the MNS leader Raj Thackeray, Kumar said, "He indulges in politics of hatred against people of Bihar to keep himself in news."
He strongly disagreed with opinions that women should dress properly to stave off anti-socials.
"Why can`t male change their dress...How can you issue diktat to half the population of the country what to wear and what not to wear," he said.
The Chief Minister said, "If age of voting can be reduced from 21 to 18, why can`t we lower the age of juvenile from 18 to 16."
Dismissing opinions on women dress code as "rubbish talks", he said the problem was in the mental make-up of people indulging in heinous crimes like rape.
"We need to change the mindset through social movement like the one happening in the wake of the Delhi gang-rape incident," he said.
Kumar said his government had taken several steps for empowerment of women and their safety before the issue hit the headlines after Delhi gang-rape on December 16 last.
"There is one women police station in all 40 police districts in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'