Nitish for education of girls to eradicate social evils
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday advocated quality education for girls to make women the main driver of socio-economic change in the state, check child marriage and high fertility rate and improve gender ratio.
Launching a health scheme called `Dus Ka Dum` here, the chief minister said the ills of society must be addressed on priority basis and girls should be educated to usher in the desired change.
High fertility rate of 3.6 per cent and child marriage must be stopped in view of its impact on population growth, which was about 25 per cent on decadal basis, Kumar said. He expressed concern that if these issues were not addressed, the state`s population could double by 2051.
The increase in population would push up the density of people per sq km in the state`s land area of 94,000 sq km.
Kumar said his government has given incentives like uniforms and bicycles to girls and an additional 4,000 higher secondary schools would be set up.
The state government has also taken steps to empower women by providing 50 per cent reservation for them in panchayati raj institutions and cooperative societies, he said.
Problems like high fertility rate, population growth and foeticide would take care of itself when women oppose age-old social vices that give undue importance to boys in social, cultural and religious contexts, he said.
The state government has launched Human Development Mission to address all problems related to gender and social vices for resolution over the next 10 years and the works have already started, he said.
Speaking on the occasion, UNICEF representative David Mclean lauded the state government for its work on various socio-economic parameters to improve the condition of the rural people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical