Nitish for reviewing Ganga treaty with Bangladesh
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Monday demanded that the Centre review the Ganga water sharing
treaty with Bangladesh as "gross injustice" has been meted to
Bihar in the treaty.
"Though it is an international issue, but gross
injustice has been meted out to the interests of Bihar while
signing the Ganga Water Sharing Treaty with Bangladesh in,"
Kumar told reporters on the sidelines of his favourite "Janata
The water sharing problems continued since
Independence but what is necessary is that the Ganga Water
Sharing Treaty with Bangladesh be reviewed, he said.
Recalling that the treaty with Bangladesh was signed in
1996 when United Front was in power, he said the erstwhile
government (Lalu Prasad) and others should have strongly
objected to the accord.
Asked whether he favoured constitution of a Regulatory
Authority in the wake of dispute over Teesta River Water
Sharing Treaty, Kumar said "it is unfortunate that the states
are being overlooked ... we don`t have any say in such
"Farraka barrage has been constructed and accord has been
signed on sharing of water of Ganga with Bangladesh... when
the water is being regulated to Bangladesh, a unit of NTPC
shuts down affecting power supply to Bihar," Kumar said.
On Mamata Banerjee`s stand on Teesta River Water Sharing
Treaty, Kumar said "an affected state has raised the issue of
its interest... it has the right to rake up it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past