Nitish hits back at Rahul for questioning his claims
Nawada (Bihar): Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today hit back at Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi for questioning his developmental claims and manner of implementing social welfare works.
"It seems Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh did not tutor him properly on preparation of list of beneficiaries for social welfare schemes," Kumar said, lampooning Gandhi at an election rally at Nawada district.
Taking a potshot at Kumar, Rahul had said at a public meeting at Aurangabad yesterday that in Bihar poor are categorised in APL (Above Poverty Line) and rich in BPL (Below Poverty Line) list.
"The Centre itself has now nullified these APL and BPL categories and as per the new survey, has divided beneficiaries among priority and non-priority sections," Kumar said and questioned Gandhi`s knowledge on the subject.
The Bihar Chief Minister picked holes in the UPA government flagship food security scheme and said though they have announced to provide 25 kg of foodgrains at a cheaper rate to beneficiaries the same was not supplied in adequate quantity to Bihar for distribution.
"With an intent to gain vote from the food scheme it has been launched without proper homework," he said, giving a strong counter to the Congress leader a day after his dig at him.
Kumar also refuted Rahul Gandhi`s accusation that despite all drum beatings no industries came up in Bihar.
"He is not properly informed on the subject. Some industries do have come to the state due to our industrial policy...But it could have been much more had the Congress-led Centre accorded special category status to Bihar," he said.
Kumar accused the Congress of putting the issue of special category status to "cold storage" under "pressure" from new ally (RJD) in view of the ensuing general elections.
Kumar was addressing election rally at Wazirganj, about 25 km away from Nawada town, in favour of JD(U) candidate Kaushal Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal