Nitish Kumar defers `Adhikar Yatra`
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday deferred his `Adhikar Yatra` to Buxar and Bhojpur districts in the wake of violent protests in Madhubani over the killing of two people in police firing Friday, an official said.
Two people were killed Oct 12 in police firing on a violent mob that was protesting the killing of a youth, whose headless body was recovered 13 days ago in Madhubani.
An official in the chief minister`s office said the `Adhikar Yatra` was deferred in view of an emergency meeting with top officials here to take stock of the situation in Madhubani.
Nitish Kumar began his `Adhikar Yatra` last month to mobilise support of people to put pressure on the central government to accord special category status to Bihar.
His `Adhikar Yatra` was in trouble since the beginning as Nitish Kumar faced protests by contractual teachers, students and others at different places of the state.
In Madhubani, rampaging protestors Saturday set ablaze three block office buildings, an equal number of police stations and several vehicles parked there. They also ransacked a railway station and attacked government property at several places.
Earlier Friday, two people were killed in police firing at an irate mob in the town. The town has been simmering ever since a headless body was found almost a fortnight ago. The family members of a missing youth, Prashant Kumar, claimed that the body was his and demanded that it be handed over to them -- but the police remained unrelenting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video