Nitish Kumar demands special status
Patna: Demanding special category status for Bihar to fast track its economic development, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday pinned hope on the high-level sub-committee formed by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram which will meet on August 10 next to finalise the new criteria for backwardness of the states.
The term of high-level sub-committee formed by the Centre to finalise the new criteria for backwardness of the state ends on August 15 and its next meeting is slated for August 10 to discuss technical issues related to its mandate, Kumar told reporters on his return from New Delhi.
"Although we are awaiting the report and pinning our hopes on it, we would like the Centre to accord us special status to boost economic development," he said.
Chidambaram during his visit to Bihar three months ago had spoken favourably about it qualifying for special status under the new criteria to be decided by the high-level sub-committee in the context of development deficit of the state, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'