Nitish Kumar demands special status
Patna: Demanding special category status for Bihar to fast track its economic development, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday pinned hope on the high-level sub-committee formed by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram which will meet on August 10 next to finalise the new criteria for backwardness of the states.
The term of high-level sub-committee formed by the Centre to finalise the new criteria for backwardness of the state ends on August 15 and its next meeting is slated for August 10 to discuss technical issues related to its mandate, Kumar told reporters on his return from New Delhi.
"Although we are awaiting the report and pinning our hopes on it, we would like the Centre to accord us special status to boost economic development," he said.
Chidambaram during his visit to Bihar three months ago had spoken favourably about it qualifying for special status under the new criteria to be decided by the high-level sub-committee in the context of development deficit of the state, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister