Nitish Kumar demands special status
Patna: Demanding special category status for Bihar to fast track its economic development, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday pinned hope on the high-level sub-committee formed by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram which will meet on August 10 next to finalise the new criteria for backwardness of the states.
The term of high-level sub-committee formed by the Centre to finalise the new criteria for backwardness of the state ends on August 15 and its next meeting is slated for August 10 to discuss technical issues related to its mandate, Kumar told reporters on his return from New Delhi.
"Although we are awaiting the report and pinning our hopes on it, we would like the Centre to accord us special status to boost economic development," he said.
Chidambaram during his visit to Bihar three months ago had spoken favourably about it qualifying for special status under the new criteria to be decided by the high-level sub-committee in the context of development deficit of the state, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam