Nitish Kumar favours mid-term polls
Patna: Congress is `competent` in managing numbers to overcome political crisis like the one now following withdrawal of support by DMK to UPA II, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Thursday and favoured mid-term elections in the country in such a situation.
"It will be better if mid-term elections is held in the country in such a situation," Kumar, also senior JD(U) leader, told reporters outside the Assembly.
Asked to comment on the political crisis triggered by withdrawal of support by DMK, the second largest coalition partner of UPA, Kumar said "Congressmen are competent in jugad (managing) of numbers (to stay in power)."
His comment came on the heels of reports of Congress` alleged efforts to reach out to JD(U) to compensate for its loss of support from DMK.
Conjectures had gained ground yesterday amidst reports of Congress leader Ahmad Patel meeting JD(U) President Sharad Yadav in Delhi, which was described as courtesy meet by leaders of the NDA partner.
Earlier, speculations about Congress reaching out to Nitish Kumar had been triggered by positive vibes during his meetings with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia earlier this week demanding special category status for Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore