Nitish Kumar for awareness, stringent laws to prevent rape like event
Patna: Expressing profound grief over the death of the victim of Delhi gang-rape case, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday said such barbaric acts could be stopped through stringent laws and public awareness.
"Such a heinous crime is beyond imagination...Somebody can commit such a barbaric act cannot even be imagined," he told reporters in his reaction over the death of the girl at Singapore.
"The conscience of the entire nation has been shocked and countrymen stood united against such social menace," Kumar said at the site of Buddha Smriti Park, where he had gone to inspect preparation for International Buddhist meet from January 5-7 which would be inaugurated by noble laureate The Dalai Lama.
Kumar stressed on stringent laws and public awareness campaign to stop such incidents.
Deeply pained by the death of the 23-year-old victim, the Bihar CM had yesterday cancelled his scheduled visit to Rajgir Mahotsav in his native Nalanda district.
Earlier, Kumar had suggested speedy trial of the incident in Fast Track Court and referred to the success of similar courts in Bihar in speedy trial of criminal cases.
Patna continued to witness public protests over the death of the gang-rape victim today also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Gold price inches down on steady dollar, Fed rate hike remains on cards
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir after 51 days, restrictions continue in parts of Srinagar, Pulwama
- Unfazed by controversy, Haryana's Anil Vij says he would have donated more to Dera Sacha Sauda
- Lakme Fashion Week 2016: What made Emraan Hashmi's ramp walk more special! – Details inside
- Heart attack and stroke prevention: Ways to reduce your risk!