Nitish Kumar for special status to Bihar
Patna: Slamming the Centre for rejecting his demand for granting special status to Bihar, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday demanded that Centre constitute a fresh committee of experts to look into the demand.
Talking to reporters here before leaving for New Delhi, Kumar said the Centre should also frame new criteria for granting special state status.
"We are making a just demand and it should be considered by the new expert committee," he said.
Kumar said "There is sufficient base for meeting Bihar`s demand for special state status - a demand of the common people of Bihar."
He said signatures of more than 1.5 crore people in support of the demand had already been submitted to the Centre.
"We had accepted that the committee which was previously looking into the demand will make the recommendations keeping in mind the poverty and backwardness," Kumar said adding the panel looked into other aspects and Bihar is not a hilly state.
The chief minister said the talks over the issue with the Centre would not be closed and "we will continue our fight to achieve the special state category."
If the Centre didn`t concede to the demand soon, "we will chalk out programme by taking people from Patna to Delhi," Kumar said adding he would soon write a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to press for the demand.
In a major blow to Bihar government`s efforts, an inter-ministerial group of Centre had rejected Bihar`s demand for special status.
The group was constituted to look into the demand for granting special status to state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US