Nitish Kumar revisits student days at alma mater
Patna: Going down the memory lane, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday visited his alma mater Bihar College of Engineering-NIT here.
Addressing a function, the CM said on a lighter note, "I was a bad student. But, others who have studied from the institution are doing well and scaled greater heights and the same will happen in future too."
He cited the example of Atomic Energy Commission chairman Ratan Kumar Sinha to highlight the talented students that have studied in the college situated on the banks of the Ganga.
Kumar, who was taking part in the Alumni Golden Jubilee function of 1963 batch, had enrolled himself in electrical engineering in 1967 and passed out from the college in 1973.
"During our time there was no computer. Today, both the teaching pattern and faculty have changed," he said.
Recounting old days, the CM`s guru in the college and retired professor Santosh Kumar said Kumar was a good mediator and a judge.
"One day Kumar and one of his friends were hurtling away from a class on hydraulic mechanics and when I asked him about it, he said `there is a fight in the college and we are going to solve it.` He ended the fight through good mediation," the teacher reminisced.
The CM took an apparent dig at Union Minister Kapil Sibal who had once told Kumar that since there were many students from IIT who were on high position in his government, the institution had got more land in the state than NIT, which got only 100 acres.
"When I told him that I myself am from BCE-NIT he had no words to defend his comment," he said without naming Sibal.
The function at NIT also served as an occasion for old students to interact with each other.
Avinash Chand Sinha, who was a batch junior to Kumar in electrical engineering, said the CM was sincere in his studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees