Nitish Kumar seeks 50:50 share of revenue between Centre, states
Patna: The Bihar government will ask for 50:50 sharing of tax revenue between the Centre and the states from the 14th Finance Commission to make recommendation, suggesting the "income distance" should be made a formula among others for distribution of resources.
"We will urge the 14th Finance Commission to consider making a recommendation for 50:50 sharing of tax revenue between the Centre and the states with the `income distance` being one of the formulas for distribution of resources," Chief Minister Nitish Kumar told reporters after emerging from the `Janata Ke Durbar Mein Mukhyamantri` programme.
Kumar`s remarks assumes significance in the wake of the 14th Finance Commission headed by former RBI Governor Y V Reddy`s visit to Bihar to take a feedback from various quarters on the state`s aspirations for resources from Centre.
The Chief Minister said he will meet the visiting 14th Finance Commission team and apprise it about Bihar`s concerns and aspirations about financial allocation to tide over backwardness even as memorandums will be submitted by the state government, political parties and other stakeholders.
Regretting that the past two Finance Commissions had failed to do justice to Bihar, he exuded confidence that the present panel will cater to Bihar`s aspirations and recommend liberal financial devolution to the state in view of its socio-economic backwardness.
Kumar said he had earlier written a letter to the Centre seeking additional financial devolution to Bihar in view of its backwardness.
He said he had also objected to the central government coming out with one scheme after another and forcing the states to commit to it by making allocation for implementation of those schemes, and said the Centre should instead take full responsibility for schemes devised by it.
Kumar also spoke on the special status issue and referring to the RJD, said the Centre intentionally shelved the proposal to consider accommodation of Bihar`s aspiration on the basis of the Raghuram Rajan panel report apparently at the behest of its longstanding ally.
He said he was hopeful till November last year that something positive will come out on the special status demand, but the proposed meeting of a committee headed by the union finance secretary to vet the Raghuram Rajan panel report was postponed indefinitely, giving the state indications that its demand has been shelved by the Centre.
The Chief Minister said he was deterred by the UPA government`s attitude and will continue to raise the special status demand and the issue will figure prominently as a major agenda of his party during the coming general elections.
Bihar and its people will not sit idle till our rightful demand of special category status is met, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India