Nitish Kumar supports Congress for Leader of the Opposition post
Patna: Making a strong pitch for the Congress to get the Leader of the Opposition (LOP) post despite falling short of the requisite numbers, JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar on Saturday said this was needed as a strong opposition was necessary for the smooth functioning of democracy.
"As a ruling party they (BJP) should rpt should have done this suo motu but they do not not have large heart to show such kind gesture," the former Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar told reporters here.
Kumar`s support for the Congress, the second largest party in the Lok Sabha with 44 seats, in getting the LOP post despite falling short of the requisite 10 per cent, comes in the wake of JD(U) General Secretary KC Tyagi announcing the party`s support to the Congress for the post yesterday.
The matter was yet to be decided by the Speaker.
Kumar said the role of the LOP was crucial in making appointments in important constitutional posts like Central Vigilance Commissioner, head of the National Human Rights Commission and the Lokpal.
Kumar gave example of his NDA government in Bihar which had offered LOP post to RJD after 2010 Assembly election despite the fact that Lalu Prasad`s party did not have the requisite 10 per cent seats.
``Similar gesture was shown by us in the state Legislative Council also``, he said to drive home his point.
Kumar`s support for Congress signals growing proximity between the two parties. Congress has extended written support to the new Jitan Ram Manjhi government in Bihar.
Amid speculation that a grouping of regional parties like AIADMK, BJD and Trinamool Congress could come forward to claim the post in Lok Sabha, a JD(U) functionary had yesterday said that since the Lok Sabha will primarily be dealing with national issues, it makes more sense that the post should go to a national party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- RJD nominates expelled BJP leader Ram Jethmalani, ex-Bihar CM Rabri Devi to Rajya Sabha
- Apple Inc may never open retail stores in India: Here is why!
- Congress targets Amitabh Bachchan over Modi govt's 2nd anniversary event, says 'wrong message being sent'
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT
- India business confidence dips to 5 month low in May