Nitish Kumar targets Congress over diesel price hike
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday poked fun at the UPA government over its move to hike diesel prices every month, saying there can be no control on inflation till the Congress party is in power at the Centre.
"The government at the Centre takes pleasure in enjoying the prices. As long as the Congress Party will be in power, it would be quite difficult to control inflation," he told the media here.
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister M Veerappa Moily yesterday said the diesel prices will be hiked by 40-50 paise per litre every month until the losses from selling the nation`s most used fuel at subsidized rates have been completely wiped out.
"Until further orders, oil marketing companies can increase it (diesel price) by 40-50 paise (per litre) every month," he said.
The Petroleum Minister, however, did not make it clear when would the next revision come.
The government had earlier on January 17 permitted the state-run oil marketing companies to set diesel prices in a move that could help the government reduce its Budget-busting subsidy bill.
Oil marketing companies immediately followed it up with a price hike of 45 paise per litre effective the following day.
Diesel currently costs Rs 47.65 in Delhi, Rs 51.51 in Kolkata, Rs 53.71 in Mumbai and Rs 50.68 in Chennai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble