Nitish Kumar targets Congress over diesel price hike
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday poked fun at the UPA government over its move to hike diesel prices every month, saying there can be no control on inflation till the Congress party is in power at the Centre.
"The government at the Centre takes pleasure in enjoying the prices. As long as the Congress Party will be in power, it would be quite difficult to control inflation," he told the media here.
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister M Veerappa Moily yesterday said the diesel prices will be hiked by 40-50 paise per litre every month until the losses from selling the nation`s most used fuel at subsidized rates have been completely wiped out.
"Until further orders, oil marketing companies can increase it (diesel price) by 40-50 paise (per litre) every month," he said.
The Petroleum Minister, however, did not make it clear when would the next revision come.
The government had earlier on January 17 permitted the state-run oil marketing companies to set diesel prices in a move that could help the government reduce its Budget-busting subsidy bill.
Oil marketing companies immediately followed it up with a price hike of 45 paise per litre effective the following day.
Diesel currently costs Rs 47.65 in Delhi, Rs 51.51 in Kolkata, Rs 53.71 in Mumbai and Rs 50.68 in Chennai.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'