Nitish Kumar targets Congress over diesel price hike
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday poked fun at the UPA government over its move to hike diesel prices every month, saying there can be no control on inflation till the Congress party is in power at the Centre.
"The government at the Centre takes pleasure in enjoying the prices. As long as the Congress Party will be in power, it would be quite difficult to control inflation," he told the media here.
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister M Veerappa Moily yesterday said the diesel prices will be hiked by 40-50 paise per litre every month until the losses from selling the nation`s most used fuel at subsidized rates have been completely wiped out.
"Until further orders, oil marketing companies can increase it (diesel price) by 40-50 paise (per litre) every month," he said.
The Petroleum Minister, however, did not make it clear when would the next revision come.
The government had earlier on January 17 permitted the state-run oil marketing companies to set diesel prices in a move that could help the government reduce its Budget-busting subsidy bill.
Oil marketing companies immediately followed it up with a price hike of 45 paise per litre effective the following day.
Diesel currently costs Rs 47.65 in Delhi, Rs 51.51 in Kolkata, Rs 53.71 in Mumbai and Rs 50.68 in Chennai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India