Nitish Kumar targets Congress over diesel price hike
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday poked fun at the UPA government over its move to hike diesel prices every month, saying there can be no control on inflation till the Congress party is in power at the Centre.
"The government at the Centre takes pleasure in enjoying the prices. As long as the Congress Party will be in power, it would be quite difficult to control inflation," he told the media here.
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister M Veerappa Moily yesterday said the diesel prices will be hiked by 40-50 paise per litre every month until the losses from selling the nation`s most used fuel at subsidized rates have been completely wiped out.
"Until further orders, oil marketing companies can increase it (diesel price) by 40-50 paise (per litre) every month," he said.
The Petroleum Minister, however, did not make it clear when would the next revision come.
The government had earlier on January 17 permitted the state-run oil marketing companies to set diesel prices in a move that could help the government reduce its Budget-busting subsidy bill.
Oil marketing companies immediately followed it up with a price hike of 45 paise per litre effective the following day.
Diesel currently costs Rs 47.65 in Delhi, Rs 51.51 in Kolkata, Rs 53.71 in Mumbai and Rs 50.68 in Chennai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka