Nitish Kumar tones down after Bihar by-poll defeat
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: A day after Bihar`s ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) suffered a huge jolt when Rashtriya Janata Dal’s (RJD) Prabhunath Singh won the Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in a by-election, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday toned down while reacting to the shocking result.
The Bihar CM added that the by-election result would have no adverse impact on the Janata Dal-United’s alliance with the BJP in the state.
Notably, there were reports that the Bihar CM was pondering over breaking alliance with the BJP over the issue of the possibility of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being projected as the NDA`s prime ministerial nominee for 2014 General Election.
RJD`s Prabhunath Singh won the Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in a by-election by a whopping 137,000 votes.
Prabhunath Singh defeated PK Shahi of JD-U, sparking off celebrations in both the constituency and in Patna.
Dismissing RJD’s victor, Kumar said: "The by-poll loss in Maharajganj is no defeat for the JD(U). That seat belonged to the RJD, it was never ours. The RJD is celebrating as if they have won a major victory. It says a lot about the party`s character. Even though we lost, the JD(U) maintains a majority vote share in Bihar”.
It was the first defeat of the JD-U in a by-election after Nitish Kumar was elected the Chief Minister in November 2005.
Forty-seven percent of the electorate voted on Sunday in the seat, which fell vacant after the death of RJD MP Umashankar Singh.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users