Nitish Kumar tones down after Bihar by-poll defeat
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: A day after Bihar`s ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) suffered a huge jolt when Rashtriya Janata Dal’s (RJD) Prabhunath Singh won the Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in a by-election, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday toned down while reacting to the shocking result.
The Bihar CM added that the by-election result would have no adverse impact on the Janata Dal-United’s alliance with the BJP in the state.
Notably, there were reports that the Bihar CM was pondering over breaking alliance with the BJP over the issue of the possibility of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being projected as the NDA`s prime ministerial nominee for 2014 General Election.
RJD`s Prabhunath Singh won the Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in a by-election by a whopping 137,000 votes.
Prabhunath Singh defeated PK Shahi of JD-U, sparking off celebrations in both the constituency and in Patna.
Dismissing RJD’s victor, Kumar said: "The by-poll loss in Maharajganj is no defeat for the JD(U). That seat belonged to the RJD, it was never ours. The RJD is celebrating as if they have won a major victory. It says a lot about the party`s character. Even though we lost, the JD(U) maintains a majority vote share in Bihar”.
It was the first defeat of the JD-U in a by-election after Nitish Kumar was elected the Chief Minister in November 2005.
Forty-seven percent of the electorate voted on Sunday in the seat, which fell vacant after the death of RJD MP Umashankar Singh.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic