Nitish Kumar wishes people on Chhath
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has greeted people across India on the auspicious occasion of Chhath Puja, a major festival primarily celebrated in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
Kumar told media that the festival is reminder of the need to observe self-discipline, faith, belief and perform prayers to the Sun God.
"On this occasion, people maintain religious discipline. This festival is unique in itself, you can call this a festival of self discipline, utmost faith and belief and people participate in this festival in large numbers. Everyone has strong faith, and therefore, it is called a festival of mass faith, and on this occasion, I just give wishes to all," Kumar added.
He said he wrote a letter to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit asking her to declare November 1 a public holiday.
In his letter, he mentioned that many people from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand reside in the national capital and hundreds celebrate the festival.
Dikshit on the other hand is viewing the whole issue as politically motivated and has asked the BJP- dominated Municipal Corporation of Delhi why the issue of a public holiday has been raised just a week before the festival.
"Till 2001, the holiday has been given on the festival of Chhath and the issue is being politicized unnecessarily. It may be because the elections are coming, why MCD has taken up the issue. I have no clue as they haven`t said anything on this issue since many days. Why are they doing this and many people who are living are not understating why the issue has been raised at this time a week before the festival?," Dikshit added.
Chhath Puja is a three-day festival celebrated six days after Diwali. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Haryana gang-rape victim sends notice to Salman Khan
- Amit Shah's dig at Akhilesh Yadav: Will Barack Obama maintain law and order in UP
- Mutual Funds pump in Rs 7,200-crore in stock markets in April-June
- Vikram Bhatt rips apart Kamaal R Khan through FB post! – Full text
- Google may launch its own handset to take on Apple