Nitish Kumar`s `do or die` commitment to increase power supply
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday said he has a "do or die" commitment towards increasing power supply in the state.
"In the field of power I have adopted a commitment of do or die and I am engaged day and night towards fulfiling this pledge," he said.
The Chief Minister was addressing a function after signing of tripartite MOU for 2X660 MW Buxar Thermal power project between Bihar State Power Holding Company Ltd, Bihar Power Infrastructure Company and Satluj Jal Vidhyut Nigam (SJVN) here.
Bihar Power Minister Bijendra Prasad Yadav was present on the occasion of signing of agreement with SJVN, a joint venture of the Central government and Himachal Pradesh government.
The Chief Minister had in his speech on Independence Day last year said that if he failed to improve power situation in the state, he would not go back to the people to seek their vote in the 2015 assembly elections.
He said the state government was making all out efforts to enhance electricity supply which was a major impediment for development of the state.
As part of efforts to perk up power supply, Kumar said Kanti Thermal Power unit was being renovated and construction of 2x195 MW new projects at the same venue was underway and expected to be completed by 2014-15.
Under expansion plan of Barauni, work was in progress for setting up two units of 250 MW each, he said.
Solar power project of 250 MW was underway, the CM said.
Kumar said Chausa based thermal power project in Bihar`s Buxar district, for which MOU was signed today, would produce 1,320 MW electricity.
Bihar is a power starved state with per capita electricity consumption of 122 unit whereas the national average is 778 unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report