Nitish, Lalu share dias; take jibes at each other
Patna: Bihar political rivals Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and RJD chief Lalu Prasad shared the dais after a long time and embroiled themselves in a war of words instead of pleasantries.
The two leaders were together on the occasion of the launching of the Patna edition of `Dainik Bhaskar` and Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde sat between them.
Launching an attack on the chief minister, Prasad without naming him said the state government was `controlling` the media in an attempt to `black out` news of rivals like him.
"A few persons in an attempt to create history are hogging all the space in the newspapers on the basis of lure of advertisements ... The newsmen are dishing out news that suits the government like parrots," he said.
Even Press Council Chairman Markandey Katju has questioned the freedom of press in Bihar, he said to drive home his point.
Kumar did not miss any opportunity to take potshots at his bete noire when his turn to speak came.
Taking a jibe at Prasad for opening an account on twitter, he said "Some people of the old generation are
also becoming victim of latest fads of social media."
"One can understand that it is a fashion among younger generation but its unimaginable that people of older generation have also started practising it ... One should draw a line somewhere," said Kumar, who has only a blog account.
Pouring criticism, he said the dictionary meaning of twitter is sweet chirping of birds in the morning hours but people by trying to monopolise it were trying to transform it into a jarring sound.
"People forget the time when they used to decide which photograph and which news will appear on which page of the newspapers," Kumar said referring to the erstwhile RJD rule in the state.
While Kumar was speaking Prasad was heard muttering no newspaper in Bihar can run without dishing news about him.
To this Kumar suggested newspapers to print photographs and news of Prasad only. Shinde and the gathering were seen to be bursting out in laughter at the exchange.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what