Nitish meets Krishna, seeks funds for Nalanda University
New Delhi: Keen on speeding up work on the
Nalanda International University, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday met External Affairs Minster S M Krishna and
sought timely release of funds and adequate budgetary
provisions for the ambitious initiative.
He also drew the Centre`s attention towards
non-appointment of the Vice-Chancellor for the University.
"Please ensure that there are no undue delays in making
the necessary funds available by making adequate budgetary
provision for the same and releasing the money as and when
required by the University," Kumar said in a memorandum
submitted to the Union Minister.
He said the Vice- Chancellor has still not been formally
appointed by the Visitor. "This is becoming somewhat of a
source of embarrassment...," he said.
Kumar also and apprised him of his last visit to Bhutan
where he discussed matters relating to electricity for Bihar.
Emphasising on the full commitment of Bihar government to
the Nalanda University project, Kumar informed the Union
Minister that the land had been transferred to the University
in early February this year.
"I would request the Central Government also to fully
support the project. Of course the University is being
established in Bihar but it is going to be an international
university of national importance and since it began as an
initiative of East Asia Summit, the pride of the country is
linked to its early and successful completion," he said.
Kumar told the minister that the next meeting of the
Governing Board is scheduled to be held in Patna on July 6 and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal