Nitish, Modi, Rabri elected to Bihar Upper House
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, his deputy Sushil Kumar Modi and RJD leader and former chief minister Rabri Devi were on Thursday elected unopposed to the Bihar legislative council.
They were among total 11 candidates who were elected unopposed in the biennial elections to the legislative council on the last date of withdrawal of nominations today, assembly secretary-cum-returning officer Laxmi Kant Jha said.
This is Kumar`s second consecutive term and he had submitted his nomination papers for the poll on April 11.
It is also the second consecutive term for Modi, who is a senior BJP leader.
The JD(U) leaders elected unopposed to the state legislative council today are state Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh, Rural Works Department Minister Bhim Singh, Ramashray Prasad Singh, JD(U) spokesman Sanjay Singh and party leader Upendra Prasad. Like Kumar they have been elected for the second consecutive term.
BJP official nominees Mangal Pandey, Lal Babu Prasad, Satyendra Narayan Kushwaha too were declared elected unopposed to the state legislative council.
April 16 was the last date of filing of nominations and today was the last day of withdrawal of nominations.
When contacted, Modi said the decision by NDA partners JD(U) and BJP to contest 10 seats reflected that the alliance was intact.
"We have established a good tradition of alliance which reflect perfect understanding between the two parties," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez