Nitish opposes Union Cabinet`s decision on FDI
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Friday vehemently opposed the Centre`s decision to allow FDI in
retail saying it would "escalate unemployment" in the country.
"I oppose it, I oppose it tooth and nail... it is not the
right step as it will ruin the retailers and will lead to a
point of unemployment beyond imagination in the country,"
Kumar told reporters after releasing the report card of his
government for the sixth consecutive year.
Recalling that he had earlier opposed creation of
Special Economic Zone (SEZ), he said the result of which was
evident in the country by now.
"The country can`t progress on the basis of the model of
others... it will have to have indigenous model," Kumar said.
He said the power, propaganda and capital of the
Multi-National Companies (MNCs) were as a matter of fact known
to the country.
In reply to a question, Kumar said he would see what his
government could do within its jurisdiction to avoid
implementation of FDI policy in Bihar.
"Bihar was the first state which strongly objected to
the proposal of SEZ," he said.
When his attention was drawn to Union Agriculture Minister
Sharad Pawar`s statement in a journal that though he praised
Nitish Kumar, no innovative measures were being adopted in
Bihar, Chief Minister said "I have not gone through such
"But what I want to clarify is that we have made a number
of innovations in the field of agriculture... our seed
replacement policy is well acclaimed," he said.
"If opening of doors for MNCs means innovation in
agriculture... then we are sorry to say that I won`t subscribe
to it," he said.
"We have seen successive failure of maize crops the seeds
for which was provided an MNC and the state government has to
pay Rs 61 crore as compensation for the crop loss to the
farmers", he said.
"Be it BT brinjal and BT Maize, we are opposed to it
because of concrete scientific reasons", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi